Tuesday, October 18, 2005

The 80% solution

The first duty of a pension board rep is to protect the Fund so that the promised benefits are there for each and every member when they retire. In order to increase or provide a new benefit a responsible board member has to ensure that that increase or new benefit won't negatively impact the overall Fund. So my first step is to propose an increase to the Board of 80% at 20, 25 and 30 years to find out the impact to the Fund. Once that information is known we have to have a plan to increase the level of the fund if needed. Which is more than likely since the Fund is rated at 53% in the last audit. At this point of time with a majority of current police officers having less than ten years on the job, we have a ten year plus window of opportunity to get the fund level up to a point where we can get increases in our benefits. The next step is to get political support for the increases. I will personally visit all our aldermen and state legislators and the mayor (if possible) in an effort to get that support. I will also work with the FOP to get the records of financial support that we have given those politicians as well as any of their requests for support from the FOP. I will do my best to get written letters of support from those politicians and post those letters so we all can see how well our proposals are received by them. I will also link any sites that track our proposed legislation (as soon as I figure out that link thing). I will also ask you to stop by local politicians and drop off a card, that I will supply to you and have you sign indicating our need for the increase and asking for their support. It is critical that we all work together to get what is due us. If we need to put in more money from our paychecks, I will let you know just how much is needed and ask your approval before I move forward.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I PROPOSE THAT ALL YOU GUYS HAVE A DEBATE!

Anonymous said...

Did you go to yesterday's union meeting? What's up?

Anonymous said...

better aks richie fo pamission 1st

Anonymous said...

Im amazed at how I used to let all this crap get to me. I got my pension ballot yesterday, and right in the garbage it went, just as I did with the last flop election. I know what your thinking but the next goof will only lie, cheat, and be pressured to do what FOP and Mayor daley want anyways.

Once you get made meritorious, or run for one of these BS offices your soul is no longer your own.

A Copper sneezes and if it somewhat sounds racial, s/he is fired. However Mayor Daley over charges senior citizens for sidewalks and we get another studdering idiot reply. A BA DEE AB A DEE... IT WAS AN OVERSIGHT.

Everyone figures...its my turn. Then they wonder why so many Coppers drink themselves into a gutter and/or eat their weapon. Its called GUILT.

Ive been in disfunctional situations before, but the Chicago Police Dept. definately takes the cake in that area.

I know I know.....why dont I just quit right?? because Im in to far now to quit. So I just sit back and collect my paychecks and laugh my ass off at all the ass kissers.

Al Capone lives inside Mayor Daley. ENTHUSIASMS

Anonymous said...

Just got my ballot and voted for you. Good luck

P.O. said...

Kevin, Nice piece. We all feel the same, but NO legislation will go thru downstate w/o city approval.
The city DOESN'T CARE ABOUT PO'S, we don't have 10 years, the fund is in jeopardy now. It is not self perpetuating. We need more funding and forgiving the 23 million was just the beggining of the end. For those of us who are going to be here another 20 we have serious issues!

I cant copy my stuff for links to you here so goto my blog and post an e-mail address and I'll send you hiow to put up links.

P.O. said...

KEV,

CATCH YOU AT THE COUNT TOMMOROW.
GOOD RUN, NICE SITE! YOU WERE SMART ENOUGH TO GET ONE UP AND RUNNING, I GIVE YOU CREDIT FOR THAT. UNLIKE OTHERS.

CONGRATULATIONS WHITE SOX!
(damn, no overtime!)