Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The Ticket

Here are the facts.

While on patrol I found a vehicle park next to a fire hydrant. It was 2300 hrs. (the kids party was long over) and there were plenty of empty spot away from the hydrant including directly in front on the house, which I later learned the owner lived in. The plate on the vehicle was a police memorial plate that expired in 2004! I was unable to run the plate but I knew that there was no way an inspector would have not written up you or me if that vehicle had been parked in a police lot. I have stopped many vehicles in the past with some type of memorial plate (esp. those fire fighter plates) and after talking to the driver have found out they are not officers or firemen, just bought the plates to get a pass on their driving or parking violations. Never assume that just because a vehicle has a police memorial plate or a fire fighter plate that the driver is a cop or fireman. I took down the VIN of the vehicle and ran it. The computer was slow and as I waited for the information I wrote the ticket. After completing the ticket, I got out of the squad car and was putting it on the vehicle when a person appeared and stated that he knew the owner and that the owner was a police officer. Sorry, I’m not getting in the trick bag for you. The ticket had been written and I was not about to change it. I told the person that I had already written the ticket

I don’t knowingly write officers tickets, but I do write tickets and even if there is a memorial plate on the vehicle from 2004. By the way when the info on the vehicle came back the current plate was also expired.